Friday, August 29, 2008

My return to D&D

As I explained in my last article, I was itching to play D&D again. But there were problems.

I purchased the rule books for the third edtion of D&D in 2000. I was mildly annoyed that Wizards of the Coast released a “version 3.5” of the game in 2003. But I bought the 3.5e rule books anyway. I never did completely understand the nature of the updates to the game rules. But I put my trust in the fact that the constructive feedback from hundreds of players neccesitated it.

The main problem that I had at the time was that I had no one to play with. I was in my early 30s. My adolescent gaming buddies had moved away. I had gone off to art school and focused on my career. I eventually moved back to my home town and reunited with a few old friends. But most of them didn’t game or had busy lives.

Shortly after D&D 3e was released, I picked up a boxed set of “basic” D&D rules that was designed as an introduction to the hobby. I managed to get a few games going but no regularly scheduled sessions.

In 2005, my chance to really play D&D once again came after a reuniting with an old gaming buddy. While I had gone on to different things in my own life, he had never stopped gaming. As a matter of fact, he has been involved with at least two gaming session each week for almost the last 20 years. When I met up with him again, he and his group had recently started a D&D 3.5e campaign. I mentioned that I was interested in playing again. He told me that there was no opening at his table. But a little later, someone dropped out of his group and I took over that player’s character.

At first it was fun. I liked the character that I was running. Although I would have liked to have created it myself, the character wasn’t too far off from what I would have created anyway. It was a female half-elf wizard named Blaize. Since she had an affinity for fire and fire-based spells, her name was appropriate.

I was happy to get back into dungeon crawling again.

But the fun didn’t last.

2 comments:

Patrick W. Rollens said...

Dude, I love the cliffhangers at the end of your posts!

Xeveninti said...

Thanks! I'm glad a few people are reading my blog.